Monday, August 18, 2008

My Pre-holiday Dance Workshop... (18 hours)

It was an interesting weekend. Had approximately 18 hours of learning and experiencing dance by Danzity's i-Dance Campaign. Some of the dances included Locking, Hip Hop, Breakdance, Popping and Street Jazz. At the end of day-2, I think I was pretty tired and I felt some of the muscles I never knew I had (ouch).

New School Hiphop (which I love)... a very expressive dance was taught by a very knowledgable instructor - Melvin Jansen from the Philipines. He makes it look so smooth and easy (like effortless). As for me, I think I was running after the song (ha ha ha... :P).

For Breakdance, I've seen it done before but never tried it... often afraid of breaking any bones (ha ha ha...). Instructor was very patient, since the dance is quite fast. He was able to break the steps down. Still tough but can do it (hurray!!)... need to buy knee pads if I am to continue in practicing breakdance.

Popping was interesting, it's knowing when to tense and release muscles,.... often I mix up the two. Melvin taught the wave... 11 steps. Need to practice infront of mirror-lah... dunno if I'm doing smoothly.

Street Jazz... is a combination of Modern Jazz and Hip Hop, seem to need a lot of strength in the moves. Was considering New Jazz by Danzity but after what I experience, I think I'll stick to New School Hip Hop.

Any way, good sessions, good mix of theory and practical. Melvin gave most of the background information of the different dance styles. He even showed the basic foundational moves for each dance. He encouraged us to look into the background as to why the song writer wrote the song, to get the real feel and purpose of the songs. Makes it easier to choreograph-lah.

Checkout Melvin Jansen's dance group ~ Team Vibe (http://teamvibe.multiply.com/photos).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey :) It's Grace here... I'm not sure who are you but we're all happy that you'e enjoyed yourself :)

Thank you for supporting us. hope to see MORE of you :) *huGgs*