Sunday, December 21, 2008

IT'S BEEN A YEAR!!

It's been a year come this Christmas that I last danced in a group. Missing it and longing for it... With the youth advancing in life and furthering their studies, Creative Arts in my church is now officially 'obsolete' (sad). Dissappointed...yes, discouraged...yes but instead of 'waiting' for my Music Director to call... I continued on my own.

I could never sit still-lah... must be doing something one. Some of my friends thought I went over-board when I started classes with Danzity. Comments came like learning from Albert was not enought is it?? Well, he has often encouraged his students to learn more and not necessary from him. Looking back, I learnt so much via Danzity, via their International instructors and other local contacts.

This year has been a year of learning from all my hiphop mentors. Learning that...

  • to relax... simplicity is strength
  • to enjoy the dance... find your groove and own style
  • to have courage to look in the mirror, see yourself express and move... not the floor (hee hee)
  • brush off bad habits like looking at other people for the next step :p
  • follow the beat...follow the beat... can always hear Albert going "pom pom chak"
  • learning the foundations of different street dance styles & it's origin
  • music... you can always find it-lah, just know the intent of the song and it's purpose

Other than learning from the professionals... I had the opportunity to teach kids (never imagined I could, more so with KIDS...hee hee). Took it as a challenge like I was choreographing for my team before but this time it was only to impart and not to perform. After that 6 hours of teaching... and watching them during their performance @ New World Park, I cannot tell you how happy I was to see them dance... to the point I felt like jumping in to join them. It was pure joy.

What's next??? Who know what next year will bring, but only the Lord will know... but He knows my heart's desire. For sure I want to continue dancing and hopefully with a team soon.

Merry Christmas everyone!!
http://www.dayspring.com/ecards/card.asp?ID=014a84ff-lim

1 comment:

Alex Steinert Miles said...

You are teaching me to pursue the gifts and talents The Holy Ghost bestowed unto me.

Smile, Jesus is proud.
Alex