Sunday, December 14, 2008

St. Pauls Creative Arts Boot Camp 2008

It Is Finished!!! December 10th (Wednesday) came and went... and all the anxiety and pressure has passed.

With only 6 hours to teach 60 kids 2 different songs for their Christmas outreach, the only thing on my mind was to ensure proper download to them.

Started with the younger ones (age 8yrs to 11yrs) with 'Every Move I make'. With their short attention span, I had to keep going with the choreo but still drilling with them on how the steps should be. My hokkien was bad and kids being kids, they took every opportunity to have fun or make fun of me. After completing only 2 verses, the kids were tired... they kept asking "Teacher, finish already-a??". They were not amuse when I said there was one more verse to do. During breaks, they were almost begging to not do any more.

Note to self, if there's a next time...make it super simple with big actions for smaller kids ('c',) .

Second 3 hours was with the youth (12yrs to 17yr old). After the Pastor's wife saw how the kids were doing with 'Every Move I Make'... she asked the youth to learn up the choreo. Perhaps she thought the steps were a bit much for them. The second song ~ 'Angels Medley' was also taught to the youth, and when I had them listen to the song first. They were excited because of the beat after the slow 'Gloria' part. The start was not choreographed, but as I watch the boys, they were having fun and doing their thing, so I let them choreo that part before the faster section of the song started. Hey... it's a creative arts camp... let them be creative-lah. Of course, the girls were not left out to choreo on their own... the middle of the song had slow mix with fast parts, ... I left that part to them as they had balley background. Often a good mix, balley and hip hop.

There was not much time for me to polish up with them. The younger kids joined the youth to show what they learnt in their own class.

On 13th December (Saturday), I attended their presentation at New World Park (NWP). One of the facilitators of the camp thought I was auditing the kids, but my intention was to support them. On the same day, they have already presented in six other location before NWP. I was amaze how energetic they were still... Praise God. Watched the kids perform a total of about 10 pieces during the night, when it came to the two pieces I thought them, I can only say I am proud of them and they were good even thought they only learnt & practice the choreo in about two days... I had 'goose-bumps' just watching them.




Every time I watch the recorded performance, it brings me joy to see them dance, and still get 'goose-bumps'. Enjoy...

Every Move I Make




Angels Medley


No comments: